20 April 2013

APRIL 12TH--INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR STREET CHILDREN



 





SAVE THEM, BEFORE THE HAWKS PICK THEM

''Uncu you go buy?''(Nigerian Pidgin English)--translation;Uncle will you buy?-- I turn around to see where the sound is coming from? But all i see is busy people navigating through the busy walkway under the scorching sun. Then I look down, and I see a little basin loaded with Satchet water, just a little above the height of my knee. I bend lower  to see what is below the basin and find a dust covered face with two small expectant eyes--it was as if they were saying; buy,buy,buy--i was squatting motionless, still trying to make sense of what i am seeing.


How can a kid this little be allowed to walk this busy street with a heavy bowl on his head? Who is doing this? At that instant moment I felt sick. The little boy--of maybe 6 or even 4--still looking at me expecting a postive response, reminded me of a short film I watched the previous week

'Kinshasa Kids' directed by Marc-Henri Wanjberg narrated the plight of over 30,000 kids in Kinshasa who have been driven out of the house because their families believe they posses 'evil spirits' and are practicing witchcraft. I'm talking of Kids that are between 5 and 10, thrown out into the cold. Left vulnerable and made to fight for their survival alone in this harsh world.

The bad news is, it's not just Kinshasa. There are at least 100 million kids living on the street under harsh conditions in various cities around the world; Mumbai, Durban, Lagos, and even Manchester. The number is even on the rise, No thanks to ethnic clashes, natural disasters, and harsh economic conditions--Most of which are the fault of adults--I wonder why kids suffer the consequences

I actually had a few bucks in my wallet aside my transport fare. So i put it in his little palm as he struggled to balance the heavy basin on his head. I collected a satchet of water, and did'nt ask for my balance. But how long will those few bucks sustain him?? Infact a bigger kid could beat him up and take that money. Or Godforbid a reckless driver could smash him when he's trying to cross the busy street. But I left him wishing we all can do more. . .

Maybe we can do more, as a community and as individuals. We need to stand up for the rights of street children. Governments need to find a way to take these kids from the streets to the classroom where they belong. Don't you think it will be more rewarding and fulfilling to open a charity organization or donate some money to a charity organization that takes care of abandoned street kids instead of squandering it in the beer parlour every night? Dont forget a Street child is just like any other child. . .Everyone deserves an equal shot at life. Meanwhile, you can start the change by Visiting www.streetchildrenday.org and join millions of other people around the world to sign the petition for the UN to formally recognize April 12 as International Children's day for Street children. Remember you can do something, dont turn a blind eye.

#Wikina Ebenezar--6paragraphs for UN
Photo credit>>bangkokbeyound.com

No comments:

Post a Comment